Monday, November 07, 2011

She must have been inspired

I watched Lost in Translation again last night and I came to this conclusion : Sofia Copolla must be inspired by the movie In the Mood for Love by Wong Kar Wai.

Similarities
1. The man and the woman had their own respective spouse.
2. They developed a very subtle relationship out of lonelieness and boredom.
3. They lied on the bed, exchanging feelings, stories, but they did not crossed the line into have sex.
4. And the last scene... Bill Murray whispered something into ears of a teary Scarlett Johanssan, before they parted goodbye. This is so similar to Tony Leung whisperring into a hole of a tree at a temple in Myammar. Both whispers were not audible.

Plagiarism is too strong a word but many more parellels can be drawn.

4 Comments:

Blogger 舞者 said...

To be honest, the 2nd half of "Lost in Translation" bored the hell out of me. "In the mood for love" didn't.

11/08/2011 7:19 PM  
Blogger Steve Tan said...

If my memory serves me well, we watched In the Mood For Love together in Singapore. Right?

11/09/2011 12:33 PM  
Blogger 舞者 said...

I only remember watching with you. I don't remember Sg. It was so long ago, when we were still virgins. At least I was.

11/09/2011 8:41 PM  
Blogger Steve Tan said...

It was dubbed in Mandarin. It's got to be in SG.

11/11/2011 12:19 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home