Thursday, September 20, 2007

Evil network

It was Friday night. Around 10 p.m, just as I entered my house and getting ready to hug my little one, my uncle called and told me he was nearby my house. He wanted to pay me a visit. 5 minutes later, he arrived at my front door, with his wife, Susan.

My uncle has a P.H.D in Geology and he owns a respectable construction firm.

What follows was two hours of sheer torture.

They forced me to look at how their detergent clean better than my detergent, and they forced to hear some fucking success stories of some top-line in Amway.

“They travelled twice a year now, worldwide, and they barely need to work anymore”.

“Ugh-huh”.

“And oh, five years ago they have nothing. And they started doing this with zero capital.”.

“Ugh-huh”.

When it was near midnight, they have said everything they could possibly think of to lure me to the dark side, but I wouldn’t budge.

My uncle grew impatient. And I told him I needed to look at their website to study their products better. It was a lie and I would rather rot in hell than looking at an Amway website.

“Look, there is actually no need to look at the website. A detergent doesn’t cost more than RM30. It’s not some expensive product that you need to put a lot of effort to think about”. There was a smirk on his face, as if I sound like a nerd.

I smiled politely, without saying anymore words.

When he was finally gone, my baby was already asleep. He not only has deprived me of precious family time, he also insulted my intelligence. When he left, he was visibly disappointed, as if I have failed him.

He came, he talked, he insulted me, and he was mad at me.

He was mad because he simply couldn't understand why I could resist a risk-free, capital-free money-making scheme. If it works out for me, I get really rich. If it doesn't, it's just RM80 registration fee, that's all. In this sense, he is similar to a religious prechear :"If you believe in God and it turns out to be false, there is no harm. However, if you don't believe in it and it turns out to be true, you would be burnt in hell.

This argument, in my view, couldn't be more wrong.

There is a huge risk in engaging direct sales. I would call it the opportunity cost. After trying a few months of selling, and if there is no result, you would think you could just go back to do whatever you do. No harm right? Wrong. Since you have exhausted all your friendship, you have caused tremendous harm to your personal reputation. It would be incredibly difficult for you to engage your friend for other help, when you really need it. They wouldn’t even reply your phone call.

But of course, the direct salesmen would argue that you could make new friends. And when they say this, it is evident that they completely fail to grasp what friend is.


9 Comments:

Blogger 舞者 said...

Your uncle probably earns $100000 a month, and he went all the way to get your $80. Such passion for money!

9/20/2007 9:18 PM  
Blogger steve tan said...

And I assume God would respond to him, instead of Mother theresa

9/20/2007 10:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Haha, honestly Ah hooi, I can feel your rage. As you know, I always like to read your blog and Lao Lo's as well. This morning is no different. :)

Anyhow, I sincerely hope that I have not given you the impression like what your uncle has done to you. Seriously. I just believe that there are other ways of doing things. If you force people, you can never be free. I just hope that I've never given you the feeling that I've forced you. Maybe just want to prove a point. I've stopped working in corporate since January this year, just making some money from Amway and living a simple life which I can enjoy some of the simple things I've always wanted. Of course, none of you joined me. :) Just hope that you won't take everybody the same as not everybody graduated from Chong Hwa is "as good" or "as bad". They just happen to graduate from the same school. And I treasure friendship too.

Hong

9/21/2007 9:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It makes no difference if you work in a corporation or as a direct salesperson. The alienation is the same. In a corporation, you are alienated by your boss, whilst in a direct sales organization, you are alienated by your up-liners. In both cases, the agents of the blood-sucking capitalist are trying to make you believe that you are doing something worth for yourself. So, just choose a way that you feel less alienated. That is the only choice we have.

9/21/2007 1:08 PM  
Blogger kimthye said...

the only way to fight Amway suckers is to join NuSkin.

When lunch was fully paid. say:
"Sure I'd like to be part of your big Amway family, but before that, allow me to show you some good stuff from Nuskin... "

9/24/2007 5:03 PM  
Blogger 舞者 said...

Haha, nice try Kim, but the Amway guy said : "Haha, what a coincidence, I've also joined NuSkin, so why don't you join Amway?"

9/24/2007 9:36 PM  
Blogger 舞者 said...

Ken, shouldn't it be "your peers alienate you" whether you are in a corporate or doing direct sales? Doesn't make sense for a boss to alienate his underlings, or a "up-liner" to alienate his "down-liner" (don't even know these terms exist).

9/24/2007 9:40 PM  
Blogger Leon Lu said...

Amway's approach is one of mildest in the market now. If you have tried lampberger's, thats freakin worse.

the thing i hate most abt MLM is that they always try to brain wash others by repeating simple questions and points.

9/28/2007 11:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's how I managed to lose 2 friends who failed to recruit me. It's like I'm worthless coz. I just 'don't get it'.

9/29/2007 9:04 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home