Monday, September 14, 2009

口头禅

One of the most amazing qualities about Obama is his ability to make speeches that unify people of all races, or religions, or parties. I observed that he has repeated the follow phrase in a few speeches. The most recent speech about Health Care, contained such phrase too.

"I am my brother's keeper, I am my sister's keeper."

This phrase effectively conveys a sense of brotherhood that is equivalent to a chinese saying 有难同当

It is interesting to discover that that phrase originates from Bible.

A saying from the Bible's story of Cain and Abel. After Cain had murdered his brother Abel, God asked him where his brother was. Cain answered, “I know not; am I my brother's keeper?”

  • Cain's words have come to symbolize people's unwillingness to accept responsibility for the welfare of their fellows — their “brothers” in the extended sense of the term. The tradition of Judaism and Christianity is that people do have this responsibility.
  • 3 Comments:

    Blogger 舞者 said...

    Kangxian, I'm really happy for you. I'm gonna let you finish, but Bush had one of the best Bible quotes of all time!

    I've gotta try this joke somewhere, might as well start with your blog :)

    9/16/2009 7:18 AM  
    Blogger Steve Tan said...

    You couldn't be more right. Only Bush would coin terms like "evil axis".

    9/17/2009 12:09 AM  
    Blogger 舞者 said...

    Just to make sure you know, my first comment was a Kanye West joke/parody. I realize not many people know what the joker did two weeks ago.

    9/28/2009 12:53 PM  

    Post a Comment

    Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

    << Home